Mel Gibson Took My Advice

When Ancient Faith Radio interviewed me about my new book, I was asked about my favorites books in this mysterious group of Biblical writings.  I mentioned two, Sirach and the Maccabees.  


My reason for choosing Maccabees is because it is action-packed.  There is fighting, intrigue, and heroism.  Men, women, and children are sacrificing their lives for their faith in God.  Maybe it's a man-thing but it is hard for me not to picture Chuck Norris when reading about the exploits of Judas Maccabeus.  


In an off-hand comment, I mentioned my surprise that these books have never been made into a movie.  I didn't know he was an AFR fan, but Mel must have heard the interview.  Entertainment Weekly reported that Mel has decided to make a movie on the Maccabees.

While Mel has had his problems lately, I welcome a movie.  No doubt, it will be violent and not for the kiddies, but these are stories that need to be known and told on a larger scale.  




Outside the general tenor of excitement, these books inspire one toward a heroic life.  Evil can faced and fought.  A life of sacrifice is possible.  We can look into our hearts, survey the passions that reside there, draw up a battle plan, and with the Cross battle our demons with courage.  


Maybe I should send Mel a copy of the book, before he gets too deep into the script. 

Comments

Citizen1 said…
I only recently read through Maccabees purposefully and WOW it was a blessing! I think a movie would be fantastic and I hope it gets done.

Love, love, love Sirach and Wisdom. And Tobit.
Theron Mathis said…
Thanks.  It would be like a Jewish Braveheart.We need more heroes.  It's no wonder that the Early Christians lovedthese books, because they encouraged them to be courageous in the faceof martyrdom, and gave them strength to live as a holy minority in apagan world.Thanks for the comments...come back and comment often.any favorite passages from the Wisdom books?

Popular posts from this blog

Is Theistic Evolution Orthodox?

4 Senses of Scripture

The Problem of Orthodox Culture