Over the past months several Orthodox writers have taken up the topic of Orthodox culture and whether we can create one in this country. Much of the writing flows out the pens of artists, so I am sure that this is a desire longing for an ethos where there is a richness of art seen in places like old Russia with majestic architecture, beautiful music and haunting works of literature. I long for this too. What is the critical mass of people for such a culture to emerge? Evangelicals have had this mass in America for some time, but only recently is there a serious arts movement bubbling up. Rather than a culture of high art, I propose we are looking for community, and this is the base where we must start. The magnet that draws Americans into the Evangelical world, robust Catholic life, and even stranger American movements such as Mormonism is not theology, but community. This is a place where you can enter and every part of your life is infected ...
Everyday Theology or Speculative Theology? Eagle River Institute, I’m disappointed. Your institute has produced consistent edifying lectures for the Orthodox Christian. Yet, you allow someone to present on Evolution as if this is the only sensible position for an Orthodox Christian. It is not! The presentation is upsetting. Maybe you found the arguments edifying for the average Orthodox Christian, but please qualify it. This is a historical aberration and deserves to be contrasted in the light of the historic Christian position. This article stands as a counterpoint to the theistic evolutionary position held by Dr. Gayle Woloschak in her presentation at the Eagle River Institute in August. There are more episodes to come, and depending on their content, I may put together another response. First of all, I am not judging this person’s Christian faith and commitment to Christ and Orthodoxy. I am not judging her piety or personal holiness. I am judging her ...
I believe in the mega-church. Over the last 30 years, American Christianity has seen the rise of the mega-church. According to sociologists, the mega-church is defined by having 2000+ members. In my backyard, exists the fifth largest church in the US, Southeast Christian Church, with a membership of 30k and average weekly attendance of 20k. No doubt this type of church can only exist in the numbers it does today, due to our mobile environment. You can live 10 – 15 miles from the church, and still be an active participant due to quick and easy transportation. Historically, you went to church where you lived, and usually within walking distance, and a church could only grow to such numbers in a densely populated area. Because of the size of these churches, certain advantages began to happen. First is that growth generates more growth. One trend-observer said: “You hit a certain size and you can become self-...
Comments