The Most Interesting Man in the World


Have you seen the commercials? If you have a TV and a watch sports then I am sure you have. These are the Dos Equis commercials for the "Most Interesting Man in the World." I must be in the demographic they are targeting, because every time I see one, I want to be this man.

Clips of him rescuing people, climbing mountains, and doing adventurous things are on every scene. The narrated statements are hilarious because they increase his mystique and degree of "interesting".

His tagline says it all: "Stay Thirsty My Friend."

Here's several quotes that are my favorites:
  • He lives vicariously through himself.
  • It is never too early to start beefing up your obituary
  • He never say’s anything taste like chicken… Not even chicken.
  • His mom has a tattoo that says, "Son".
  • Running in place will never get you the same results as running from a lion.
  • Find out what it is in life that you do not do well, and then don't do that thing.
Granted these are humorous, and tongue in cheek, but part of me can't help wanting to become like this man. There is even a ring of truth to some of these statements. I've joked with friends that this should be my life goal.

Is becoming interesting a worthy goal?

Maybe not, but the most interesting people I know and encoutnered in the pages of Scripture and history could qualify for this moniker.

What qualities make a person interesting?

1. They take risks

2. They do things other people won't do.

3. They live intentionally.

4. They are focused.

5. They are aggressive (mostly with themselves).

6. They struggle.

7. They love other people.

For me one of the great benefits of biography, history, and the lives of the saints is that I am introduced to great people, that are sources of inspiration and guidance.

These interesting people were like us but they refused to coast through life. Nothing was on auto-pilot and their intention and purpose captivated the rest of us.

Question: What can you do to keep from coasting through life? Who is the most interesting person you know and why?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Theistic Evolution Orthodox?

4 Senses of Scripture

The Problem of Orthodox Culture